South side—Former site of some of the oldest wooden buildings in town including the Eidam General Store at 710-712, which served as the Hopkins Post office in the 1890s and Bursch’s Cafe (formerly Neider’s) at 706. These buildings were replaced in 2003.
North side—The Yellowstone Trail Garage (pictured above), a blacksmith shop and a livery stable were located in this block. The Yellowstone Trail was an automobile touring route that went all the way to Yellowstone Park, and was marked with painted yellow stripes on Mainstreet poles.
Between 1912 and 1964, the City Hall, Police & Fire Station occupied the northeast corner of 8th and Mainstreet. With a jail, courthouse and library, this was the hub of Hopkins civic activity for over 50 years.